Purpose of Role:
Assist Senior Accountants, Managers and Partners in performing duties for their clients through using a variety of bookkeeping skills applying technical accounting knowledge.
What will your typical day look like?
As an Accounting Technician you will be responsible for financial record-keeping of all client activities, making journal entries and preparing tax, GST, HST, QST, WSIB returns, as required. You will also communicate with clients to identify issues, complete bank and other account reconciliations, work with accounting software and provide support to the client, generate financial reports and complete other accounting related duties, as required.
- Develop and apply knowledge of the Canadian Income Tax Act and related legislation
- Set up files for new clients and newly incorporated businesses
- Compute taxes owed and prepare tax returns ensuring compliance with government standards for various types of entities; profit, not-for-profit, partnerships and trusts (may prepare T4 and T5 tax returns)
- Prepare journal entries and provide bookkeeping services as required by clients
- Review legal documents such as articles of incorporation, purchase agreements and amalgamation agreements and advise clients and engagement managers/partners appropriately
- Calculate and review share capital
- Correspond with clients and various government agencies to address client tax compliance issues
- Raise identified client issues that need to be addressed with managers and engagement partners
- Review own work to detect errors before submission for review
- Possess a post-secondary degree or certificate in accounting or another relevant field
- Strong English communication skills – written and verbal
- Experience in an accounting, customer service and/or client service environment is preferred
- Previous experience in financial statement analysis and preparation of tax returns is an asset
- Experience working with, or exposure to, accounting and tax software such as CaseWare and Profile is preferred
- Working knowledge of the Canadian Income Tax Act, specifically in Canadian Personal Tax
- Strong computer literacy including effective working skills of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, strong attention to detail and ability to meet tight deadlines
- Strong time-management abilities and self-motivation
- Results oriented individual with the ability to manage multiple projects and adhere to strict deadlines
- A positive “can do” approach
- Works effectively in a team environment
This position provides an exceptional opportunity for career advancement in a rewarding and flexible work environment with a competitive compensation and benefits package, including:
- A standard 37.5-hour work week
- Paid overtime or time off in lieu of overtime
- Continued professional development
Please e-mail cover letter and resume to Tamara Lee.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Please no phone calls.
ALL INTERVIEWS WILL BE CONDUCTED ONLINE