Over 39 years experience as a Chartered Accountant in Vancouver. Is an owner of Lohn Caulder LLP, Chartered Professional Accountants located at 1500 West Georgia St., Vancouver, BC. A partner there since 1987. Graduate of The Sauder School of Business, University of British Columbia (1977).
Born and raised in the Lower Mainland of B.C. Specializes in income tax and financial planning for owner-managed businesses. Emphasizes strategies for minimizing income taxes and maximizing the accumulation of wealth, through joint ventures, partnerships, corporations, and trusts. Provides the communication skills to knit the elements of an annual tax plan (the business, and the individual) into a coherent whole, in a way that clients can understand, and appreciate, the improvements he can bring to their financial well-being.
Other services include:
- Using trusts to achieve optimal management of accumulating wealth, while planning to deliver monthly income to households for living expenses at the minimum tax cost.
- Planning for the addition, or retirement, of business partners or shareholders.
- Planning for real estate development, including anticipation of the ramifications of future events;
- Strategize and represent clients in all matters relating to the Canada Revenue Agency, including audits, appeals, and voluntary disclosures;
- Valuations of closely held businesses for income tax and other purposes;
- Evaluation of pending or proposed business deals to assess viability and consideration of the impact of differing outcomes;
- Corporate reorganizations to rationalize ownership structure, protect assets, optimize fiscal periods for rational planning;
- Transfers of assets to obtain tax advantages or to free up cash resources without incurring capital gains or other costs;
- Matrimonial asset allocation, management and counseling;
- Cross-border tax advice, for companies doing business outside of Canada, and for those non-Canadians who have made, or wish to make, investments within Canada – business, or real estate.
- Can marshal the resources of Lohn Caulder’s international affiliations as the Vancouver representative of BKR International, an association of 135 member firms, in over 70 countries worldwide.
Prior and current accomplishments include:
- Chair of the BKR International Canadian Tax Committee;
- Instructor of income tax at the B.C. School of Chartered Accountancy;
- Frequent guest on radio call-in shows on the subject of income tax and legislative changes;
- Author of numerous articles on tax-related matters in various publications, newsletters, and newspapers;
- Past president of the ALS Society of British Columbia;
- Past member of the Planned Giving Committee of Lions Gate Hospital;
- Past President of Evergreen Toastmasters Club
Marriage still going strong after 33 years – 3 grown children. Long-term resident of Vancouver’s North Shore. Member of the Hollyburn Club, and a huge Vancouver Canucks fan. Loves fishing. A keen gardener. Also keen on cars, and everything to do with them. Loves travelling the world, and biking and hiking around the countryside once he gets there!